Close to Flåm: One of Norway's most scenic fjord views
Do you ever wanted to have a bird's view over a fjord landscape?
At famous viewpoint Stegastein a stylish and very solid wooden footbridge platform reaches 30 metres into the air space. 650 metres above Aurlandsfjord it allows a unique view over the surrounding landscape.
Where to find and how to reach it
The platform is located just a few meters besides road Fv 243 (Aurlandsvegen). The view point is fully accessible with a very short walk from the parking area.
Stegastein is part of the official scenic route Aurlandsfjellet and can be reached by all kinds of vehicles: Bus, car, motorcycle and bike. The hairpin road is sometimes very narrow and needs careful and patient driving.
The platform is opened the full year (but scenic route is not fully opened in winter, see website).
Caution for best usage of GPS: Enter the direct location of the viewpoint. Do not enter the route Aurland to Lærdalsøyri - the GPS may misdirect you through 24 km long Lærdalstunnel (E16). Only if Aurlandsfjellet is closed in winter that routing is correct for approaching from Lærdalsøyri.
tips for travelers
- Best daytime to visit for photographers is morning before noon to have sunlight from behind onto the fjord.
- Check weather forecast for Aurlandsfjorden. Caution: Do not search for Stegastein, Ullsvang (Hordaland) - it is a different place far away.
- The village Flåm is not far away and offers besides bus tours to Stegastein also further attractions
- Boat tour through Nærøyfjord, an UNESCO world nature heritage
Flåmsbana is a scenic 1 hour train ride to Myrdal passing a wonderful
Ægir BrewPub is a craft beer bewery producing well-recognied and awarded beer
- Also close is world's longest road tunnel "Lærdalstunnelen" which is the modern and from weather independent answer to the classic Aurlandsfjellet route.
(c) Author: Mark König, August 6 2018, last update August 10 2018
Write a comment